The Fried Milk is a typical dessert of Spanish cuisine. It basically consists of milk, which is subjected to a simple treatment to obtain a delicious flavor and thicken a little. Then it is battered and fried. It is a recipe that takes some work, but it is very easy to make. The secret to making this dessert delicious is in the point of the creaminess of its interior. It should be solid enough so that it does not fall apart, but creamy enough so that it is not too hard. So it is very important to measure the quantities so that the fried milk is really delicious.
Ingredients for 2 People:
- 500ml Milk
- 200ml of Milk + 100g of Cornstarch
- lemon and Orange Peels
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 75 or 100g of Sugar
- 1 Vanilla
- 20g Butter
- flour and Eggs for Coating
- 75g of sugar and 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, for the end
How to Make Fried Milk:
- Put 500ml of milk in a saucepan. Add the cinnamon stick, the lemon and orange peels, quantity to taste and, without adding the white part that is very bitter, the vanilla opens in half (remove the seeds from inside to also add them here) and the butter. Heat until it is about to boil and at this point, Turn off the fire and cover. Let infuse 30 minutes
- After time, in a bowl, put the yolks of the eggs and the sugar. Beat with a whisk until the eggs foam a little. Then, in a glass, put the 200ml of milk mixed with the cornstarch. Beat with a fork until smooth. Add this mixture to the mixture of eggs and sugar and beat well again until obtaining a homogeneous, smooth dough without lumps. This will be the base of our fried milk.
- To the milk that we had infused, removed the shells, the cinnamon stick and the vanilla branch. Return the heat to medium boil (about 50-60º) and add the mixture from the previous step. Begin to stir with the rod and continue doing it for about two minutes. We will see how, almost immediately, the mixture begins to thicken
- Put this mixture in a mold or source that we have at home. It is important that it has a certain thickness, so do not choose a very large one. Between 1 or 2 cm thick will be fine. It is not usually necessary but you can spread this mold with a little butter so that it does not stick. At first, we will see how the milk seems very liquid, but this has to thicken much more. Cover with transparent kitchen paper, in such a way that the paper is in contact with the milk so that it does not get a crust and let it temper a little, at room temperature. Then we put everything in the fridge and leave a minimum of 4 hours. Better if it’s a whole night
- After a time the fried milk will have a much thicker consistency. It will still be very creamy and delicate, but it will be malleable. So, carefully cut it into rectangular or square portions, about 3 to 5 cm on a side. Pass each piece through flour, then through beaten egg and fry in abundant oil.
- When they are golden brown, and hot inside, remove the oil and place them on absorbent paper for a couple of minutes to remove the excess oil. Meanwhile, on a plate we put about 75g of sugar and a teaspoon of ground cinnamon on a plate. Mix a fork well and coat the fried milk with this mixture. It is better to do it when it is still warm so that it takes better this mixture, we just have to eat it! That, you can make it freshly made, warmer or directly cold. To your liking!
It is somewhat laborious to make the fried milk recipe but it is something worth doing. It is delicious! To me personally, its preparation reminds me in part of making French toast.
If you like this fried milk please share it on your favorite social network. This would help me a lot!